[csw-maintainers] Package incompatibility, any suggestions?

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 25 06:31:22 CET 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:11:18AM +0100, Roger H�kansson wrote:
>> I've rebuild gedit 1.14.4 and I can't see any reason why libnet should
>> be needed. It must have been some dependant library that used libnet in
>> the past.
>
> nope. direct link.
> dump -Lv says it is directly "needed".

Well, that isn't so strange, if you link gedit with libX and a function
in libX needs libnet, you'll have to put -lnet when you link gedit, and
then dump will tell you that both libX and libnet is "needed".
If you later on rebuild libX without any libnet support, libX will no
longer require libnet, but gedit still will...

>> Well, what we could do is first re-release 1.0.2 with SONAME set, then
>> re-release all dependant packages,
>
> THAT aint gonna happen in the next 12 months :)
>

>> I know that this might be a undesirable way, but maybe the "cleanest".
>
> no, it's prefectly desirable.
> the problem is, it's just not REALISTIC :-)

That was what i meant with "undesirable" ;)