[csw-maintainers] On-line project resources

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 26 13:22:09 CET 2009

Hi Maciej,

Am 26.03.2009 um 12:41 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> I've seen a lot of project-related resources:
>
> - http://www.opencsw.org
>  * plain HTML
>  * for users
>  * documentation for developers

This is the legacy way of making packages.

> - to be superseded by the new website
>  * for users
>  * rss feeds
>  * a wiki
>  * documentation for developers?

I guess not.

> - mantis
>  * http://www.opencsw.org/bugtrack/
>  * issue tracking
>  * for users

To track bugs in released packages. If this is really different from
bugs in GAR is open for discussion :-)

> - gar wiki
>  * http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/gar/index.php?title=Main_Page
>  * a wiki
>  * for developers
>  * documentation for developers

GAR is not necessarily associated with OpenCSW. I have the idea of GAR
being a site for build-descriptions of maybe multiple packaging projects
*cough*
The wiki contains GAR documentation only.

> - gar.sourceforege.net:
>  * hosts code repository
>  * issue tracking
>  * package builds
>  * GAR code
>  * code browser
>  * for developers
>
> - opencsw sourceforge project
>  * http://opencsw.sourceforge.net
>  * hosts code repository
>  * code browser
>  * for developers

This is for code unrelated to GAR. When the projects forked it was
unclear
which resources we could provide, so I registered this project to use
bugtracking/mailinglist/website/etc. on-demand if necessary. Good there
was no need for it ;-)

> - trac
>  * http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/
>  * a wiki
>  * issue tracking
>  * code browser
>  * package builds
>  * documentation for developers
>  * looks experimental

It is experimental. When we moved GAR-stuff to SourceForge there was no
Trac as hosted app. That's why I converted the docs to MediaWiki.
But I do see the advantages of using Trac as powerful development tool.
Personally I think it would be a good idea to move all developer
resources into SVN and the Trac Wiki.

> Is there anything else I missed?

Yes: http://wiki.opencsw.org

Peter set it up when we had no Wiki and the OpenCSW association hadn't
been
founded.

> Counting by role:
>
> wikis: 3
> issue tracking systems: 3
> code repositories: 2
> documentation for developers: 3
>

> There seems to be some duplication, especially as far as documentation
> for developers is concerned. Are there any plans to consolidate it?

Plans, yes. IMHO it would be a good idea to bundle all developer
resources on the SourceForge "gar" project with SVN as repository
and Trac as Wiki. Feedback welcome.