[csw-maintainers] file location for our svc/smf stuff

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Mar 26 23:01:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 04:01:01PM -0500, Mike Watters wrote:
> That particular file is part of smf configuration for ssh
> I am not 100% sure how smf is handled in the global vs non-global zones
> but I believe /var/svc/manifest/* is shared to all zones by default.

Final test:

Created a test zone for myself.

inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /opt/csw

Created fake package, with

f none /var/svc/manifest/site/sillyfile1.xml=sillyfile 0644 root bin
f none /usr/sharedfile=sharedfile 0644 root bin

Ah. I stand corrected somewhat. Been a while since I messed with packages
and zones :-) Behaviour would seem to be as follows:

For zones:
 If the file is destined for some "shared" place like /usr, the file
   is understood as already there, AND marked as present in the package,
   for that zone
 If the file is destined for a NON-shared place such as /var,
   the file is COPIED there.

So... putting smf manifest files, etc in some place like
/var/opt/csw/manifest.... or even /var/svc/manifest ....
would technically still work, for zones.

It just would not work for shared-nfs installs of /opt/csw.

I think we should come up with a location that can work long-term,
for shared-nfs as well.
At least a deployment strategy that is nice for them.
Someplace perhaps, like

/opt/csw/[share?]/lib/svc/manifest/xyz.xml

and then put it in a "class cswsvc", that will automatically copy
it from there, to /var/svc/manifest ?

That would be very little additional effort on the part of maintainers,
yet at the same time, be nicer to our "large install" customers.