[csw-maintainers] file location for our svc/smf stuff

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 27 02:26:40 CET 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 04:01:01PM -0500, Mike Watters wrote:
>> That particular file is part of smf configuration for ssh
>> I am not 100% sure how smf is handled in the global vs non-global zones
>> but I believe /var/svc/manifest/* is shared to all zones by default.
>>

> Final test:
>
> Created a test zone for myself.
>
> inherit-pkg-dir:
>         dir: /opt/csw
>
> Created fake package, with
>
> f none /var/svc/manifest/site/sillyfile1.xml=sillyfile 0644 root bin
> f none /usr/sharedfile=sharedfile 0644 root bin
>

> Ah. I stand corrected somewhat. Been a while since I messed with packages
> and zones :-) Behaviour would seem to be as follows:
>
> For zones:
>  If the file is destined for some "shared" place like /usr, the file
>    is understood as already there, AND marked as present in the package,
>    for that zone
>  If the file is destined for a NON-shared place such as /var,
>    the file is COPIED there.
>
> So... putting smf manifest files, etc in some place like
> /var/opt/csw/manifest.... or even /var/svc/manifest ....
> would technically still work, for zones.
>
> It just would not work for shared-nfs installs of /opt/csw.
>
> I think we should come up with a location that can work long-term,
> for shared-nfs as well.
> At least a deployment strategy that is nice for them.
> Someplace perhaps, like
>
> /opt/csw/[share?]/lib/svc/manifest/xyz.xml
>
> and then put it in a "class cswsvc", that will automatically copy
> it from there, to /var/svc/manifest ?
>
> That would be very little additional effort on the part of maintainers,
> yet at the same time, be nicer to our "large install" customers.

do you think it is a good idea to run services from an NFS mount?
I can see sharing apps across the mount, but not running openldap or apache etc...
thoughts?

- --
Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist