[csw-maintainers] issue when trying to provide a python binding

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Fri May 8 18:49:51 CEST 2009

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.05.2009 um 18:24 schrieb Mike Watters:

>> Hi Peter,
>> Peter FELECAN wrote:
>>
>>> There are 2 issues:
>>>
>>> 1. I'm using gcc, so why cc is used? Because Python is generated with
>>>   Sun Studio?
>> Yes that is exactly correct, when you build a python extension it will
>> look at the way python was compiled and use those settings ( this is
>> just like
>> PERL )
>>
>>> 2. How comes that a specific build machine path is used, i.e. Sun
>>>   Studio is installed by default in /opt/SUNWspro (I know that it can
>>>   be installed at the administrator's convenience and on the build
>>>   machines is installed in a /opt/studio directory but that is another
>>>   story)
>>
>> Unfortunately, this is just the way it is handled,  it is true for
>> PERL and
>> most if not all the other packages that have a pkg-config like structure.
>>
>> you should be able to work around this by setting the environment
>> variables
>> CC={path to cc} CXX={path to c++ (CC in SunStudio)}
>
> Is it really this bad? Then we should make Sun Studio 11 the default at
> /opt/SUNWspro and let GAR switch flags on the detected compiler if there
> is e. g. SS12 at that location.

That would be OK, I guess, but I think SOS12 should be the default.
Right now SOS12 is not installed on solaris 8.

I have tested it on a solaris 8 zone (from a solaris 10 global)
and it seems to work OK.  has anyone else tried this out?

I installed SOS12 on solaris10 global and "shared" it to the solaris 8 zone.
zoneadm -z s8 halt
zonecfg -z s8
add fs
set dir=/opt/SUNWspro
set special=/opt/SUNWspro
set type=lofs
add options rw
add options nodevices
end
commit
exit
zoneadm -z s8 boot

- --

Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist