[csw-maintainers] OpenCSW Summer Camp

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Tue May 12 19:13:53 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:49:01AM +0200, Peter Bonivart wrote:
>>    * Tier 1 packages must always be actively maintained, possibly by
>> more than one maintainer for quick responses to security updates and
>> bug reports. All tier 1 packages must be in GAR.
>
> What you are suggesting, would be described in US political terms, as
> an "unfunded mandate". (saying "do this", but providing no resources
>  to actually do it)

Well, to identify which packages should go into which tier we could
use another suggested topic of mine - download stats.

> Things like this best happen from the bottom up.
> If people want to volunteer to help out [current maintainer], then
> they are free to do so now.

Yes, but that usually only happens when we already have a problem and
the current maintainer doesn't respond, that's what I want to avoid.

To me, it would be good to identify the most critical packages and
allocate resources in the form of active maintainers to them but if
the community doesn't agree that's fine with me. Topics were asked for
and I provided a few.

--
/peter