[csw-maintainers] Issues with openjade when compiling glib 1.3.15

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed May 13 19:01:59 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Wed May 13 12:13:48 -0400 2009:
> I vaguely remember talking about this with Ben when he made that
> stuff;

This stuff specifically, or the issues you had when building mutt docs
using it?

> My opinion at the time was, "if the software needs the user to set an env
> var for it to work right, then the software installation is broken".

Well, things like libxml know where to look for the files and
catalogs, and the `sgmlwhich` command provides the mechanism for
client software to determine what is needed in a dynamic fashion.
[cat `sgmlwhich`]  I really don't recall discussing this before
outside of the mutt issue which was due to a build-time option setup
in opensp (now fixed).

> I thought that Ben agreed, and had set it up to work without anything
> external set.

I only packaged up the stack the way it was done elsewhere...My uses
of it, has been functional without environment settings.  Nothing I've
built uses jade though.  Jade is considered (in my understanding) the
'old' way of doing sgml transformation and styling.

I did a little poking at this, and I think it's likely an oddity of
openjade (a bug likely, but who knows).  I ran the command that
generates the errors during the Make while is a subdirectory and
referencing the sgml input file via ../ (this is the way the Makefile
sets it up).  This saw the errors Dago reported and an truss shows:

open("/opt/csw/etc/sgml/../catalog", O_RDONLY)  Err#2 ENOENT

I then cd'd up a level and removed the ../ from the referenced sgml
file.  The file was then processed correctly and truss showed:

open("/opt/csw/etc/sgml/catalog", O_RDONLY)     = 3

Neither of those runs saw the environment modified.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.