[csw-maintainers] gar v. mgar ???? (warning: frustrated newbie questions)

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed May 13 21:54:59 CEST 2009

Hi John,

Am 13.05.2009 um 21:03 schrieb John Ellson:
> What is "mgar"
>
> Is it a newer version of gar?

Yes. The GAR versions are described at
   <http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/GarVersions>

> Is mgar the recommended one for opencsw?

Yes, definitely.

> Does it have a working "getting stated guide" ?
>
> I tried:
>   http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/gar/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_GAR
> referenced from:
>   http://www.opencsw.org/standards/pkg-walkthrough
> but the "Checking out the build tree" instructions don't work.
>
> I've tried:
>   http://svn.blastwave.org/trac/wiki/GettingStartedQuickly
> but "make fetch" doesn't work!

The Blastwave GAR is a somewhat "old" as all the advancements like
multi-ISA-builds, dynamic prototypes, single package out etc. were
all developed after the fork. The documentation at
   <http://gar.opencsw.org>
covers the current OpenCSW GAR. Unfortunately, some of the docs
have not been updated yet and I apologize for this. I am working
on the docs from time to time, but as you know it is a time-consuming
process. If you need any help on GAR please mail either me or ask
on maintainers at .