[csw-maintainers] status report: graphviz packaging - new maintainer

John Ellson ellson at opencsw.org
Wed May 13 23:10:10 CEST 2009

If any maintainers are interested,  there is a reasonably complete
version of graphviz (today's development snapshot) in

/home/ellson/pkgs/graphviz/graphviz-2.23.20090513.0445,REV=2009.05.13-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
on the build farm.    Should I put this someplace?      It built.  I
haven't tried executing it.    After installing, it will need "dot -c" run
with installer privileges in order to register its plugins.

If it installs ok you could try it with something like:

    echo "digraph{Hello->World}" | dot -Tpng | xv -

I tried building an equivalent i386 version, but it needs the latest
gtk2 which is not yet on build8xt ?

I don't feel that this package is ready for release yet.    I want to do
the following first:

    - Generate a new stable release of graphviz upstream.
    - Migrate the opencsw maintenance to the mgar mechanism
    - Find out how to run "dot -c" in a post-install step with installer
privileges.  To register plugins.
    - Find out how to split the build products into multiple binary
packages with segregated dependencies.
    - Try to package "gts" and "lasi" first, so that graphviz can use them
    - Not really critical, but see if I can get some more of the swig'ed
language bindings to work
          currently building with support for: perl, C#, tcl
          missing are:  python, php, ruby, guile, java, lua, ocaml
      It may just be that these languages are not installed on the build
hosts?  I haven't investigated yet.

John