[csw-maintainers] status report: graphviz packaging - new maintainer

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu May 14 11:25:44 CEST 2009

Hi John,

Am 13.05.2009 um 23:10 schrieb John Ellson:
> If any maintainers are interested,  there is a reasonably complete
> version of graphviz (today's development snapshot) in
>  /home/ellson/pkgs/graphviz/
> graphviz-2.23.20090513.0445,REV=2009.05.13-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
> on the build farm.    Should I put this someplace?

Yes. Stuff you want to have tested can be copied to /home/testing from
all machines in the BO buildfarm.

>      It built.  I haven't tried executing it.    After installing,
> it will need "dot -c" run
> with installer privileges in order to register its plugins.

Before asking others to test it you should of course test it yourself
to avoid wasting cycles of helping hands.

> I tried building an equivalent i386 version, but it needs the latest
> gtk2 which is not yet on build8xt ?

Correct. The problem is the libs also include 64 bit versions. For x86
this means they must be build on Solaris 10, as this is the first
version supporting 64 bit. Unfortunately we don't have a Solaris 10 x86
machine - yet!

> I don't feel that this package is ready for release yet.    I want
> to do the following first:
>
>   - Generate a new stable release of graphviz upstream.
>   - Migrate the opencsw maintenance to the mgar mechanism

Let me know if you encounter any problems.

>   - Find out how to run "dot -c" in a post-install step with
> installer privileges.  To register plugins.

This is simple. Just take a look at the many packages doing it:
   cd mgar/pkg
   grep postinstall */trunk/Makefile

>   - Find out how to split the build products into multiple binary
> packages with segregated dependencies.

This is documented at
   <http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/DynamicPackageFiles>
   <http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/Prototypes>

>   - Try to package "gts" and "lasi" first, so that graphviz can use
> them
>   - Not really critical, but see if I can get some more of the
> swig'ed language bindings to work
>         currently building with support for: perl, C#, tcl
>         missing are:  python, php, ruby, guile, java, lua, ocaml
>     It may just be that these languages are not installed on the
> build hosts?  I haven't investigated yet.

Swig is also unmaintained at the moment and outdated. Feel free to
take it
over or to ask for somebody else to update it if you need a newer
version.