[csw-maintainers] [James Lee] Re: Compiler optimization Sun Studio vs. GCC

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 15:39:59 CEST 2009

--- On Thu, 5/14/09, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:

> From: Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>
> Subject: Re: [csw-maintainers] [James Lee] Re: Compiler optimization Sun Studio vs. GCC
> To: "internal list for the CSW maintainers" <maintainers at lists.opencsw.org>
> Date: Thursday, May 14, 2009, 3:54 AM
> ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com>
> writes:
>
> > GCC 4.4.x (and v4.3.3) beats Sun Studio 11.
>
> Can you develop this affirmation, i.e. what tests have you
> made to support it.
> --
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I have been testing both compilers for many years in various situations. I'm not here to bash Sun Studio, though, and it is just my opinion (based on years of factual knowledge). But in saying that, I do
use Sun Studio and like it for what it does.

Basically, a sedan and a sports car will provide you with decent transportation. Just depends on how you like to get there and the "creature features" those cars provide....

Ken