[csw-maintainers] Another GAR RFE, deprecate gar/v1 (was: Re: Offer to maintain swig)

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed May 20 21:44:28 CEST 2009

John Ellson wrote:
> Peter Bonivart wrote:
>> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:44 PM, John Ellson <ellson at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>>>       [strip] complete for swig.
>>>       [install] complete for swig.
>>>       [package] complete for swig.
>>>
>>> ----------------------
>>>
>>> but there is nothing in $HOME/newpkgs/swig/
>>>
>> Try "svn pg svn:externals" and check that you use GAR v2, otherwise
>> all new features don't work. It should be default if this is a new
>> package but if it's an older you're updating you probably have v1.
>>

> That was it.

As we try to trim our documentation towards mGAR v2 (and forget about
the whole different iterations of GAR eventually), could we maybe add a
deprecation warning to the gar/v1 Makefile.

Something along the lines of "Unless you know what you are doing, please
consider switching to the currently maintained version of GAR, by doing
....". Maybe not as harsh, but gently pointing the way :)

Sebastian