[csw-maintainers] Packages that require either package A or package B

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu May 21 19:29:16 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Thu May 21 12:58:27 -0400 2009:
> Additionally, adding more complexity to System V packaging will bind
> valuable resources and would make packaging quite more complex.
> Apart from that the current mechanism has served us well over the
> past 10+ years and will fade away as the new packaging system is
> already there (IPS). I would favor to live with the faults and

Yes, I'm not suggesting it was a great option, just _an_ option.

> handle dependencies as we have always handled them. In addition,
> I propose to carefully start working on real IPS packaging
> instead of putting extra work/complexity in System V packaging.
> A real IPS backend for GAR with all bells and whistels for
> dual-personality building of packages is surely a Good Thing.

Yes, I agree.  Will IPS make pkgutil/pkg-get redundant?  Eg, will it
facilitate simply creating a 'repo' and adding it to the IPS conf
(similar to apt/yum)?  If so, all the smarts could be punted to the
system tools instead, which would be nice.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.