[csw-maintainers] sun studio in standard path within /opt/csw, for the sake of python setuptools

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Sat May 23 03:03:17 CEST 2009

rupert THURNER wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 23:34, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:12:37PM +0200, rupert THURNER wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> while trying to easy_install python apps, i fell over a problem with
>>> the path mike used for compiling python: /opt/studio/.. . this is a
>>> problem for filesystems like ours which uses a readonly /opt.
>> ??
>>
>> why is that a problem?
>>

>> hm. it appears from the newsgroup reference, that you are specifically
>> complaining, that python has somehow hardcoded in its configs,
>> CC=/full/path/to/cc
>> instead of a nice simple
>>
>> CC=cc
>
> the "problem" if you want to call it like this is that easy_install
> uses the settings out of the python compilation makefile as default.
> it would be nicer if the default, i.e. the way python is compiled,
> uses a compiler within /opt/csw to make it easy to duplicate it on a
> opencsw client site, where other paths outside /opt/csw are not
> necessarily writable.
>
> i do not know why genshi, and mercurial need the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
> to /opt/csw/lib to be easy_installed at our site though.
>
> rupert.

Technically, this could/should be resolved by requesting CSW builds of those
extensions.  I have already got a genshi package in the works because I have
been playing with Trac,  all I have to do is a couple tweaks to the build and
do a final commit.  I am running it on my test Trac server and it works great.
 ;)  I will finish it up next week.

- --
Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist