[csw-maintainers] SMF support for syslog_ng package

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu May 28 11:28:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 07:13:55PM +0100, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
>> I'm playing with updating syslog_ng to v2 and getting it to have SMF
>> support via mGAR.
>> The result is that the SMF manifest doesn't get imported:
>
> better to use cswclassutils for SMF support anyways, rather than a custom
> pkg-local manifest, unless you're doing something Really Special.

I'm trying to be as far away from Anything Special as possible. I'm
following the common documentation of SMF support:
https://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/SMF/Init%20script%20support%20in%20your%20package

A quote:

8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - -
First step, we must have the following files ready in our files/ directory:

    * the legacy init script, cswfoo.init
    * the SMF manifest, cswfoo.xml
    * the SMF service startup script, svc-cswfoo

The second bullet list item explicitly tells to create cswfoo.xml.
Should I be skeptical about it?

For the purposes of testing, I've created 'minimalsmf' package. The
idea is to have a minimal amount of code which builds a package with a
sleeping shell script. The main Makefile is:

http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/minimalsmf/trunk/Makefile

Dago, could you please look at this package and remove anything unnecessary?