[csw-maintainers] Update of fftw

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 4 16:43:29 CET 2009

Hi,

Am 02.11.2009 um 21:56 schrieb Dagobert Michelsen:
> as it seems of general interest here the repost on-list:
>
> Am 02.11.2009 um 17:51 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:

>> My first thought is that it's better to have one fftw package,
>> including all the versions.
>>
>> Gentoo has a nice was of going around this. They have something
>> called
>> 'slots'. If multiple major versions of a package need to coexist,
>> they
>> occupy numbered slots.  For instance, fftw-1.x would be assigned to
>> slot 0, fftw-2.x to slot 1 and fftw-3.x to slot 2. We don't have the
>> notion of slots, but we can merge multiple library versions in one
>> package. I had to wrap my mind around version modulations in GAR, but
>> it looks fairly easy now. (Until I run into problems again, that is.
>> :-) )
>>
>> I would be for providing one package with all the versions.
>>
>> Maciej
>>
>> P.S. Dago, you can loop this e-mail in with the rest of the
>> discussion
>> participants.

Humm, no feedback yet. So I guess I make a version modulation for 2.x,
put everything in fftw, make fftw2 depend on fftw and then make fftw2
an emty stub. On the other hand there are **NO** packages depending
on fftw2, so can I skip including the old version?

Josh: Be invited to release the updated package at will, just let me
know :-)

Phil: Are you ok with this? I don't want to package everything up just
to redo things on submission ;-)