[csw-maintainers] comment/warning about sun studio 12.1

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Nov 6 00:55:03 CET 2009

FYI, I read the following on a sun mailing list,and thought I should
share the horror:

----------

What is "Sun Studio 12 update 1" and where did it come from?

Sun Studio 12 update 1 is the latest major release of Sun Studio.
The previous major release was Sun Studio 12.  It is a completely
different compiler from Sun Studio 12.  SS12u1 has it's own patch
stream that is disjoint from the patch stream for SS12.
It took two years of effort by a large team of people to produce it.
By all logic it should have been called Sun Studio 13, but management
and marketing made a different choice.  If SS12 was also available
in the repo, users would need to be able to install both SS12 and SS12u1
at the same time to migrate their code gracefully.

So... just be aware, and cautious, when the issue comes up.

and as a final comment from that author:

"The C compiler [itself, as in "cc -V"...] does have a sensible
numeric-only version number that is monotonically increasing.
(5.9 for SS12, 5.10 for SS12u1, and 5.11 for whatever is in SSnext.)"