[csw-maintainers] Library problems with gnome apps

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 8 11:04:36 CET 2009

Hi Jeffery,

Am 07.11.2009 um 05:51 schrieb Jeffery Small:
> I was away for two and a half weeks.  When I returned there were
> many new
> packages released.  I have not installed everything, but I did
> upgrade some
> of the stand-alone applications and a few libraries upon which they
> relied.
> Now, I am finding that my firefox 3.5.3 and 3.5.5 browsers will not
> operate
> properly.  These are the releases from the mozilla contrib website
> and were
> working fine previously.  The browers now hang completely at any
> number of
> operations, the brower's pull-down menus will not display and most
> buttons
> do not operate.  This is running on the native Solaris 10 gnome
> desktop on
> a SPARC system.
>
> I seem to remember a similar problem developing along these lines in
> the recent past, so I have some suspicion that it is related to the
> CSW
> upgrade.

I also remember this, but only found this post in my mailbox. It may
or may
not be related to your problem, but you should check the bound libraries
with ldd on the running process that no /opt/csw stuff is bound.

> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
>> Von: "wrcarithers" <wrc-ygr at cs.rit.edu>
>> Datum: 28. Juli 2009 17:52:53 MESZ
>> An: solarisx86 at yahoogroups.com
>> Betreff: [solarisx86] Re: Firefox 3.5.1 on Solaris 10?
>> Antwort an: solarisx86 at yahoogroups.com
>>
>> I've been running 3.5.1 for over a week on Solaris 10 11/06,
>> installed from the tarball version (not the package). The only
>> issue that I ran into was with the Pango RC file (found in
>> ~/.mozilla/firefox/etc/pango/pangorc on my system); for the past
>> few releases of Firefox 3, the RC file has been clobbered the first
>> time I start up a new release. I have to run the new release once,
>> which overwrites the RC file; I then copy a backup version into the
>> file, and the new release runs fine from then onward. My guess is
>> that there's a library version conflict at the root of this
>> problem, but I haven't taken the time to track it down.
>>
>> In some recent releases (3.0.10, 3.0.11, and 3.5), I've also had to
>> modify the firefox startup script because of library version
>> conflicts. I added moz_libdir (the install directory) to the front
>> of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and that took care of the conflicts. I did not
>> have to do this for 3.5.1, however.
>>
>> - Warren

> Also, I still see the berkeleydb packages here, but there is STILL no
> updated sendmail package.  I broke my sendmail the last time I tried
> update the database packages and am still wondering if this
> compatibility
> issue has been addressed.

Yes. Basically as the scheme we intended of unifying didn't work out
we went the other way round: Splitting bdb as separate as possible by
confining each release to a specific subdir and only linking stuff
to /opt/csw/lib when required by old apps not yet updated. If you update
bdb it should do no harm to your old sendmail.

Apart from that Mike and Benny are still working on the updated sendmail
to the best of my knowledge.
Mike? Benny?

> I also see the dbus package.  There has been
> an outstanding issue that keeps Solaris from properly shutting down
> as the
> dbus service cannot be stopped.  Has that issue been addressed with
> this
> dbus release?  These are both long-standing issues and I am
> wondering why
> I have not heard about their successful resolution.  Did I miss some
> important discussions during the past few weeks?

Yes, you missed that one, it was fixed by William two month ago: