[csw-maintainers] hooks in pkg-get

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Nov 10 22:00:50 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Are you planning to implement hook support in pkg-get?

yes, I am "planning to".
however, my time is limited, so it may not get done "soon".
There is some small chance it may get done this weekend :-}
However, there are other code changes that pkg-get is needing too,
that have higher priority.

> There is
> already growing use of and demand for hooks, so not having it in
> pkg-get will present us with some problems...

problems?

hooks are supposed to be *optional* things. If people are using hooks
for package-mandatory things, there is a problem in packaging.

I will remind you, that our packages should be installable by ANY SVR4
valid method.
including  "wget blah.pkg ;   pkgadd -d blah.pkg".

If the package does not function when added like that, then the
package is improperly put together.