[csw-maintainers] hooks in pkg-get

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 11 09:12:29 CET 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 10.11.2009 um 22:00 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> There is
>> already growing use of and demand for hooks, so not having it in
>> pkg-get will present us with some problems...
>
> problems?
>
> hooks are supposed to be *optional* things. If people are using hooks
> for package-mandatory things, there is a problem in packaging.
>
> I will remind you, that our packages should be installable by ANY SVR4
> valid method.
> including  "wget blah.pkg ;   pkgadd -d blah.pkg".

We have massive inconsistencies in the catalog for package names which
could easily be cleaned up with an upgrade-script detecting old names
and mapping them to new names. Additionally, these hooks would have
solved easily
- the XML migration where Ben put out that script
- the esound-removal problem where I provided the snippet for you

> If the package does not function when added like that, then the
> package is improperly put together.

Yes. And if the package has already been released like the old esound?
Than what? Without hooks your doomed.