[csw-maintainers] hooks in pkg-get

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Nov 12 20:28:17 CET 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 12.11.2009 um 20:17 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> If a package erranously removes a modified config-file on removal
>> I obviously cannot fix that in the new package and the old package
>> is already out. But I could put a copy aside in a postremove-hook
>> and copy it back-in before the new package is installed :)
>
> wait, what?
> you can modify behaviour of the former package, by newer packages,
> with this stuff?

The hook can be called if one package is upgraded with another,
before a package is removed and before a package is installed, etc.

> yikes.
> and what about the potential of old package hooks conflicting with new
> package hooks?
> This sounds like a very hairy capability.

I guess the hooks will be distributed in a package
   CSWpkghooks
or something. It should be updated before any other package on each
update invocation and allows fixing these ugly things by calling
scripts before malicous actions can take place. As I wrote before
this would have allowed for the complicated XML-transition from
Ben, the esound-problem, package renames and all other weird
stuff. It is *the* chance to clean up once and for all.