[csw-maintainers] Anyone wants to update wxWidgets?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 13 20:49:47 CET 2009

Hi,

Am 13.11.2009 um 19:09 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> There's one more problem with this library.  The existing Solaris 8
> wxwidgets is compiled with unicode support.  If it was compiled with
> Unicode on Solaris, there has to be a way of doing that, I just don't
> know what it is.  I haven't been able to compile unicode-enabled
> version on Solaris 8 due to missing wide characters function. I don't
> know how it was compiled on Solaris 8, but it sure required some
> patching of the code, or copying files from Solaris 9, or something
> similar.

This focus on Solaris 8 leads in the wrong direction as we officially
deprecated it. If it is hard to do on Solaris 8 than we shouldn't spend
effort in it and start releasing with Solaris 9 full features.

In addition to this there are only 4 packages depending on wxwidgets:
- xchm (Windows CHM Help Browser)
- rapidsvn (SVN GUI Frontend)
- kicad (Electronic Layout Software)
- boincmanager (successor of SETI at home)

The only application I would consider important here is kicad, which
is actively maintained by Dominique. xchm was maintained by Alessio
and I have successfully rebuilt it in GAR. rapidsvn is also from
Alessio and may be as easy to redo. boinc is actively maintained
by Eric.

What I am saying is that we should concentrate on updating
the dependent packages starting with Solaris 9 full featured,
maybe without legacy libs, and leave Solaris 8 as is.

> However, Dago thinks that GNUlib can fix the problem.  I don't have a
> lot of spare cycles right now, so if anyone wants to pick up the work,
> everything is in the repository.

I don't think this anymore, it will certainly take a day to do
this right which would better be spend with other things
moving forward.