[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 13 20:52:24 CET 2009

Hi Maciej,

Am 13.11.2009 um 20:06 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> 2009/9/25 Trygve Laugstøl <trygvis at opencsw.org>:
>> Ben Walton wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Sebastian Kayser's message of Thu Sep 24 17:38:12
>>> -0400 2009:
>>>
>>> Logical and concise.  +1.
>>
>> Ditto. +1.
>
> There's also the question of pkgnames, is it CSWpyfoo or CSWpy-foo? If
> one follows the rule that "each _ becomes a -", we sometimes end up
> with CSWpy-foo and sometimes CSWpyfoo.
>
> I wrote down what I thought is the outcome of this policy (except for
> the point 3). Here's the table:
> http://wiki.opencsw.org/python-packages-naming

This is a good writeup! I would have wished we had this for
other packages a long time ago. The current standard however
discourages the use of '-' in package names for *devel, *rt,
etc. Don't get me wrong: I don't like the way it is, but there
is at least some consistency in not having hyphens at all
and converting the packages would require hooks to clean up.
Having a consistent mapping between catalogname and
packagenames is a Very Good Thing(tm), but I don't see
how we can achieve it with the technology we have right now.