[csw-maintainers] raw "build" api for our subversion tree now up for discussion

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 17 16:15:44 CET 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> There's no default; you're supposed to create your own ~/.garrc, and
>> the sample file contains:
>>
>> ${HOME}/staging/build-$(date '+%d.%b.%Y')
>>[...]
>> I prefer ISO standards for dates[(it builds better)]
>
> definately :-)
>
> Hmmm. the non-deterministic nature of that, would make it slightly
> difficult to have any kind of automated,
> "Go autobuild 10 packages and add them"
> script at a customer site.
>
> How many people are using something else there, and if so, what?

I think it there is a need to provide an API for specifying the pkg
destination directory.  I can think of a couple of ways:

- an environment variable (PKG_DEST_DIR?)
- an entry in a configuration file (where would the file be? in what format?)
- an argument to the build script (./build --pkg-dest-dir=/home/joe/staging?)

Alternatively, the destination directory might be the one in which the
build script is.  But then it might be hard to separate the newly
built packages from any other files that might be in the same
directory.

Which people think is best?