[csw-maintainers] Building postgresql-8.4.1

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Nov 17 17:49:45 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I'm looking at building postgresql-8.4.1.  I used this db engine
> before a lot and I'd like to have its recent version.
>
> The main problem with compilation is this:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-11/msg00687.php
>
> In short, the old includes from /opt/csw/postgresql/include are
> breaking the build.  How would you fix it?  I guess that uninstalling
> the devel postgresql package would help, but it's not the proper
> solution.

actually, its a perfectly reasonable, albeit a little inconvenient,
solution. Other packages also require this.

To better fix the problem, requires that you convince your "upstream"
to make its build environment better, which can sometimes be very
difficult.

> The foo.h file is also in, say ../../../src/include. The compiler
> invocation looks like this:
>
> /opt/studio/SOS11/SUNWspro/bin/cc -Xa -xO3 -xarch=v8
> -I/opt/csw/include -I../../../src/include -I/opt/csw/include   -c -o
> nodeGroup.o nodeGroup.c

If you had the -I../..  first, it should actually work the way you want it.

kind of like if you had -L/opt/csw/lib -L/usr/local/lib
long as ours are "first", things will work out ok, usually.