[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Nov 17 21:56:02 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I like the idea of s/_/-/g when going from catalog names to pkgnames.
> Thissentenceismymainargumentforusingdashesitsjusthardtoread.  I would
> really like to have a blessed word separator for the pkgnames.  Sun
> packages uses cases, the have something like SUNWonewordSECONDWORD.  I
> perceive it as ugly.
>

> The consistency I'm definitely for is that we achieve consensus, it
> gets documented, and we follow it.

well, in some cases, the CSWxxx name doesnt realliyhave to be
"readable", that's what our "software name" is for.  the PKG name is
there almost just as a placeholder.

and an argument AGAINST having - in the names:

CSWxxx-yyy  does not double-click-select in xterm. you ahve to click
and drag to select it.
in contrast, some_software_name selects as a single word.

So, another vote for "no - in PKG names at all", if we are insisting
on One True Standard.