[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 18 12:04:52 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> I like the idea of s/_/-/g when going from catalog names to pkgnames.
>> Thissentenceismymainargumentforusingdashesitsjusthardtoread.  I would
>> really like to have a blessed word separator for the pkgnames.  Sun
>> packages uses cases, the have something like SUNWonewordSECONDWORD.  I
>> perceive it as ugly.
>>

>> The consistency I'm definitely for is that we achieve consensus, it
>> gets documented, and we follow it.
>>

> well, in some cases, the CSWxxx name doesnt realliyhave to be
> "readable", that's what our "software name" is for.  the PKG name is
> there almost just as a placeholder.
>
> and an argument AGAINST having - in the names:
>
> CSWxxx-yyy  does not double-click-select in xterm. you ahve to click
> and drag to select it.
> in contrast, some_software_name selects as a single word.

Looks like your terminal emulator is broken.  Pick a non-broken one or
fix yours! ;-)

> So, another vote for "no - in PKG names at all", if we are insisting
> on One True Standard.

Should we write up the pros and cons so we can have a nice overview
picture of the pros and cons?

I'd also like to point out that what I would like to have is not the
dash character explicitly, what I'd like to have is a word separator.
It can be dashes, underscores, CamelCase, or anything else, I don't
care what specifically.  I would just like to be able to have visually
separate words in the pkgnames.