[csw-maintainers] User requests symlinking from /usr/bin to /opt/csw/bin

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 23 18:59:28 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> That's kind of like saying, "I cant imagine anyone would do a 'full
>> install' in solaris. there's so many packages in there, no-one will
>> want to actually use everything".
>
> Anyway, this is not the point here. The point is: how can we integrate
> packages that replace existing Solaris functionality without breaking
> the usecase you described. I proposed a different package name prefix.
> Please state if this would be feasible or if you have a better idea.
> At least Sebastian and me are using it, so there is obiously a need
> for this kind of packages. The example sendmail would also be a good
> candidate for this.

I think you are stating the "need" in an overly narrow way.

Probably the "need" would be better stated as, "How can we replace
sun-package functionality, WHEN THE USER CHOOSES US TO, in a way that
is easy for the user?"

Woudl you like to start a fresh email "thread", with that as the start prompt?
(and re-mention the concern that "install all" of CSW packages, should
not blow away sun stuff by default; only if the user has made some
kind of choice somewhere)