[csw-maintainers] General update of Perl to 5.10

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 24 17:36:22 CET 2009

* Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I start to encounter the first modules requiring Perl 5.10:
>
> > ==> Running Makefile.PL in work/build-isa-i386/Date-Manip-6.01
> >Perl v5.10.0 required--this is only v5.8.8, stopped at Makefile.PL
> >line 3.
>
> However, Sebastian stated that there are some serious issues in the past
> with 5.10. Should we wait some more ot has this already been settled?

A former colleague of mine working with perl quite extensively pointed
out those 5.10 problems (related to perl warning messages which were
unable to narrow down the offending source code line).

Just asked him. These problems are fixed in 5.10.1 and although he
doesn't use 5.10.1 in his historically grown production environment many
people from #dbix-class, #catalyst, and #moose already do.

This is 2nd hand information, but doesn't sound too bad.

Sebastian