[csw-maintainers] V8+ binaries produced by gcc on build10s

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 1 11:45:08 CEST 2009

Hi Maciej,

Am 01.10.2009 um 11:40 schrieb Dagobert Michelsen:
> Am 01.10.2009 um 11:15 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
>
>> I have a relatively straightforward build:
>>
>> https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/urxvt/trunk/Makefile
>>
>> After building the package on build10s, I see this:
>>
>> urxvt:          ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1,
>> V8+ Required, dynamically linked, stripped
>> urxvtc:         ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1,
>> V8+ Required, dynamically linked, stripped
>> urxvtd:         ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1,
>> V8+ Required, dynamically linked, stripped
>>
>> I've added  -mno-v8plus to the compiler flags. gmake modenv says:
>>
>>       CFLAGS = -O2 -pipe -mcpu=v8 -mno-v8plus -I/opt/csw/include
>>     CXXFLAGS = -O2 -pipe -mcpu=v8 -mno-v8plus -I/opt/csw/include
>>
>> Why is gcc still producing V8+ binaries? Is there a way to
>> influence it?
>
> This seems like a bug. Is there something on the GCC lists?

It looks like the compilation is ok, but as the provided libs in
Solaris 10
are sparcv8plus the resulting binary is also:

rxvtd:          ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+
Required, dynamically linked, not stripped
rxvtd.o:        ELF 32-bit MSB relocatable SPARC Version 1

The object files are compiled correctly.