[csw-maintainers] Handling of devel package splits

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 1 21:29:01 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 01.10.2009 um 21:15 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Am 01.10.2009 um 18:29 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>>
>>> The entire package, if it were one package, is 155k for sparc, and
>>> 88k for
>>> x86.
>>> The "devel" package, is 5k. yes, 5830 bytes.
>>
>> I specifically didn't do it for size, but for clearness and
>> consistency. And
>> I think the tradeoff of having a clean split against one more
>> package is
>> IMHO worthwhile.
>
> And I understand that point. My own opinion, is that fewer packages,
> makes
> for better "clearness" for our users, when there isnt a noticable
> benefit from
> splitting them up into mulitple.
> I cant see us ever splitting ALL our packages up into
> CSWmain  vs CSWmain-doc

Me neither, because many users need the docs.

> While it would be "consistent", it would also be insane overkill, in
> my opinion :)
> So for similar reasoning, I dont think we should split up ALL
> packages to be
> CSWmain vs CSWmain-devel

The question is: How many users actually need the development files?

> Just in the cases where there is actual benefit.

If you know devel is always split you know that you have to install it.
If it is sometimes split you are on your own. It may be a nice thing to
have a script which adds all *_devel packages for the installed
packages, though. Or to define a policy in pkg*.conf if _devel-packages
are to be installed by default along with the main package.