[csw-maintainers] pkgutil version updates on the mirror roots? Make pkgutil package ARCH=all?

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Fri Oct 2 11:26:34 CEST 2009

On 02/10/09, 09:47:35, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] pkgutil version updates on the mirror roots? Make
pkgutil package ARCH=all?:

> > Using the update self first principle the initial package installer
> > need only update itself and might not need advanced perl nor wget.

> True. And that is the reason why we should deliberately ship
> outdated versions? I think it is good style to update the tools
> on the frontpage from time to time. Not with every minor release
> maybe, but a few times a year.

There are 2 questions in this thread:

1. The root pkg tools are out of date.

I say it doesn't matter as they are tools that update themselves.
There isn't a reason to not keep them up-to-date but it's not
interesting here.

2. The form the root pkg tools should take.

I suggest it need not be the same as the actual package and can be a
bootstrap version.  To force its own update it could use versioning
and datestamp or with an internal flag in the code.  The bootstrap
package can contain two archs of static wget, the actual package can
use depends.  There are other options.

James.