[csw-maintainers] questions about GAR, history, and naming

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Oct 4 21:53:14 CEST 2009

SO.. I'm reading the front page blurb about GAR on

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/

A few questions and concerns come up, which I think would be best clarified
and sorted out on the list here.

  "GAR is the build and packaging system used by OpenCSW. GAR is based on
   the GARNOME project"

Err.. pardon? I thought it was based on "the linux BBC project"'s GAR build
system.

to remind people what THAT is/was all about:
  http://www.lnx-bbc.com/garticle.html

I believe that GARNOME also forked off of that or something.

and speaking of which.. I think that to do things cleanly, we need to
EITHER have a "core, generic GAR" build system, and layer
  opencsw stuff on top of that
  (I think this is the cleanest thing to do)
OR rename/rebrand "our" build system, as "cswgar", or "garcsw" or
  something.

If we dont provide a generic "gar", then I think we need to migrate from
gar.sourceforge.net, to something more specific. Otherwise, I think we do
not deserve that namespace, and it should be ceeded to the ORIGINAL gar
people at lnx-bbc.com