[csw-maintainers] questions about GAR, history, and naming

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 5 20:54:49 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 05.10.2009 um 18:58 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> I think moving to something more specific without being explicitly
>> asked
>> by someone wanting that project name on SourceForge is... quite a
>> task.
>> Changing URLs, switching all repos, all external references as they
>> include the project name... everything not done quickly. Without a
>> real
>> need I don't want to do that now. Not just because another name is
>> nicer. IMHO too many resources from too many people would be bound
>> for
>> something without immediate benefit.
>
> "doing the right thing", RARELY has "immediate benefit"  :-P
>
> PS: renaming is not the only option that would be morally clean.
> The other option that I see, and mentioned, is to offer a "generic
> gar" package.
> Shouldnt be too difficult, relatively speaking?

Following your argumentation the "generic gar" would be the GAR from
linuxbbc
without changes as the generic name "GAR" belongs to them. Every fork
could
be thought of a takeover of the namespace. But anyway, I am against
changing
the name unless someone from linuxbbc is claiming the name on
sourceforge.