[csw-maintainers] questions about GAR, history, and naming

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Oct 5 21:20:38 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
>> PS: renaming is not the only option that would be morally clean.
>> The other option that I see, and mentioned, is to offer a "generic gar"
>> package.
>> Shouldnt be too difficult, relatively speaking?
>
> Following your argumentation the "generic gar" would be the GAR from
> linuxbbc
> without changes as the generic name "GAR" belongs to them. Every fork could
> be thought of a takeover of the namespace.

Not neccessarily the original one unchanged. It could be an "improved
gar" in my opinion.

I think that "gar.sourceforge.net", belongs most properly as a place
where other people interested "in gar", could work on a common base.
This would include linuxbbc, AND possibly GARNOME people.

Or, if you just "take out all the opencsw bits" from what you have
already, and make sure that what is left, is internally consistent for
someone who might take it and build their own GAR-based build setup.

That's all.

I think we would be perfectly justified in keeping the opencsw gar
addons, as also at gar.sourceforge.net
Just so long as they are an *optional* addon.