[csw-maintainers] questions about GAR, history, and naming

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Oct 7 18:23:50 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 4:39 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> . I may have put more energy to source packages if you would
> show real interest in GAR by using it for your packages or at
> least to a level where you can reproduce a build without the
> demand that "someone writes up an interface for me that I can
> do 'gartool compile <pkg>'".

Well, then, we have a "catch 22". You dont wish to work on GAR in that
direction until I use it, and I dont want to use it until GAR is more
complete in that area :-}

For the record though, I have not insisted that there actually be an
INTERFACE WRITTEN to do all that, before I use it.

What I have been more pushy about, is for our [gar-related source
repository] to be completely flattened, so that it is then POSSIBLE
for "someone" to write a simple interface to support "[cswtool compile
pkg]", for any arbitrary package in our svn repository.

*I* would even be willing to write that tool!
But right now, there is no proper standardized namespace in our svn to
support that cleanly.

Also for the record, we have discussed on the mailing list that things
could potentially be added into the repository that build without
using gar. Which is why I specified above, [cswtool], rather than
[gartool].
Such a tool, (which, again, I myself would be willing to write), would
support building via gar, or other standard-compliant subtrees in our
source tree.