[csw-maintainers] Handling of devel package splits

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Oct 8 18:10:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:27 AM, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:
> ...  Consider an OS supplied supplementary package:
>
> $ pkginfo | grep SUNWjpg
> GNOME2      SUNWjpg                          jpeg - The Independent JPEG
> Groups JPEG software
> GNOME2      SUNWjpg-devel                    jpeg - The Independent JPEG
> Groups JPEG software - development files

Consider also, that sun does NOT consistently do things this way.

SOME things are split into SUNWfoo and SUNWfoo-devel

OTHER things, have their "devel" bits lumped together with other things.

For example, a recent "hot button" issue: xpm.h

There is no separate xpmdevel for it. it is in SUNWxwinc.
(mind you, thats because libxpm itself isnt in its own package, it's
in SUNWxwplt

But it's still something to think about; having more consolidation of
certain development files, rather than
the "one tarfile, one package" approach for everything.

> There are cases when a bare system install is right but think how that
> is achieved.  Not by naming each packages on the command line of pkg-get
> but by a single selection made at install time.  If there was an install
> option such that when I install foo I get foo-dev or not than it would
> make managing the shadow development set easier.

the interesting part comes when someone previously had a non-devel
system, then decides they want to compile packge "A", and so needs to
install the devel for it.. but does NOT want to download/install the
devel stuff for "B", "C", "D", "E", ...