[csw-maintainers] pysvn and the other pysvn

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Oct 18 09:42:10 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Mike Watters <mwatters at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On 10/17/2009 06:16 AM, Macias (Matches) Brzezinski wrote:

An eager spell correction?

>> Looks like we have a package name collision. I'd like to build
>> pysvn[1], but there already is a CSWpysvn package. What do we do with
>> this name clash, any suggestions?
>>
>> Maciej
>>
>> [1] http://pysvn.tigris.org/
>
> the existing pylon is the python module for subversion that comes with the
> source code.  I have not yet looked at the difference, what are the main
> differences?

pysvn.tigris.org is an entirely different project. If you read
Subvesion's core docs[1], you'll find that they say "Subversion's
language bindings unfortunately tend to lack the level of attention
given to the core Subversion modules. However, there have been
significant efforts towards creating functional bindings for Python,
Perl, and Java.".

I think the one bundled with Subversion is not very useful.
pysvn.tigris.org is the one I'd like to work with (once I get it to
build).

Maciej

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch08s02.html