[csw-maintainers] pysvn and the other pysvn

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Oct 19 17:43:01 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I got pysvn-1.7.1 to build. It's in testing.
>
> For the package name conflict, I suggest the following:
> 2. Creating a new package with subversion-provided Python bindings to
> subversion_py CSWsubversion-py, or something similar.

Hmmm.

well, to give more specifics

subversion already provides multiple language bindings, such as

javasvn (java language)
rbsvn    (ruby language)

pysvn  (python language)

One issue here is that

CSWpysnv  pysvn

potentially conflicts with our standard naming for python modules.
Except that it doesnt technically, because python modules are normally
named "py_" :-)
But there is a more fundamental issue, that the subversion addons
named above, should not have been abbreviated.
java was not abbreviated. ruby and python should not have been either.

They should really have been named rubysvn, and pythonsvn

Now, as everyone knows, I am normally EXTREMELY AGAINST package renaming.
But in this case, I think it both makes sense, AND will not be overly
disruptive. the only thing depending on either of them, is CSWtrac.

As long as that is repackaged at the same time, newly pointing to the
new name, I think we can go ahead and do the rename.

However, for our users' sake, I think that we should postpone
reackaging of the new "pysvn", until at least a month AFTER the
release of the renames have been done. That way, most people who
already have trac installed, and do automatic updates, will probably
have things nicely upgraded for them with no confusion.
But this will still neccessitate announcements about it when released.

Note to the pythonsvn and trac maintainers:
To save time, please remind me, when you actually submit the packages.
I have a lot to keep track of and may well forget by the time you
submit them :-)