[csw-maintainers] ganglia unofficial 3.1.3 RC in testing

Daniel Pocock daniel at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 22 08:25:31 CEST 2009

gerard wrote:
> hello daniel,
> i'm trying to install ganglia_gmetad into a non global zone on
> opensolaris machine (os2008.11), and here are the problems:
> - it installs gmond (i never required it)

gmond is not required for gmetad to work properly - however,

- most people do want the gmond agent on their gmetad host anyway

- the default configuration I have provided assumes that a gmond
instance is running on the same host as the gmetad, this allows the
Ganglia packages to work immediately with no manual configuration effort

> - gmond failed to start:
> [ Oct 22 07:33:48 Executing start method
> ("/var/opt/csw/svc/method/svc-cswgmond start"). ]
> ioctl error: No such device or address
> [ Oct 22 07:33:48 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]
> [ Oct 22 07:33:48 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
> [ Oct 22 07:33:48 Executing stop method
> ("/var/opt/csw/svc/method/svc-cswgmond stop"). ]
> [ Oct 22 07:33:48 Method "stop" exited with status 0. ]
> [ Oct 22 07:33:48 Restarting too quickly, changing state to maintenance. ]
>
> The install occurs in a non-global zone, is it forbidden?

I haven't personally tested in zones, I know someone else who has tested
it and found it doesn't work, the agent needs to be tweaked a little bit

> if i want to unstall CSWgangliaagent:
> bash-3.2# pkgrm CSWgangliaagent
>     The <CSWgangliagmetad> package depends on the package
>     currently being removed.
> Dependency checking failed.

see above note about dependency

> After finishing the install (ganglia_gmetad and ganglia_web), the web
> page says that the host monitored is up, but it doesn't display any image!?
> there are no errors in apache logs, but the web page at the url:
> http://www2/ganglia/graph.php?g=load_report&z=large&c=latp&m=load_one&r=day&s=descending&hc=4&mc=2&st=1256191348

Have you modified the configuration files, or are you using the
configuration files I provide?

What is the data_source line in gmetad.conf?

Do any of the Ganglia pages work?

> displays the following message:
> The image
> "http://www2/ganglia/graph.php?g=load_report&z=large&c=latp&m=load_one&r=day&s=descending&hc=4&mc=2&st=1256191348"
> cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Try and wget that URL to a file, and look at what is in the file - maybe
PHP is spitting out error messages instead of a PNG file

> I don't understand what's happen, because with my old releases of
> ganglia, i never encountered these problems, only problems with stability.
> As i said previously, i'm not using apache from CSW, but apache2 bundled
> with the OS (imho, it's anot a good idea to install CSWapache2 when
> apache is delivered with the OS). So the only thing i did to configure
> the ganglia web is:
> - cd /etc/apache2/2.2/conf.d/
> - ln -s /opt/csw/apache2/etc/extra/httpd-ganglia.conf
> - svcadm disable cswapache2; svcadm restart apache22

That should probably work, but do make sure your apache2 has PHP support