[csw-maintainers] Fwd: checkpkg problem on opensolaris distribution

Aubrey Li aubrey at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 27 02:50:07 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:

>>> Can we enhance this script to support IPS package system?
>>> I have a quick idea similarly like the following patch,
>

> I think that only really makes sense, when we start distributing
> packages in IPS format.
>
> at which point, we should have a related-but-separate utility,
> "checkips", I think :-)
>
> checkpkg is for creating packages. Right now, people should NOT be
> creating OpenCSW packages on opensolaris. Only Solaris(tm)(r)(...)
>
> For someone who wishes to tinker, but only runs opensolaris at the
> moment.. it should be easy enough to set up a solaris zone?
> They could use the "branded zone" type stuff, and install solaris 9
> zone, I would think.

solaris zone is a luxurious environment for me to do the development.

opensolaris supports both SVR4 and IPS. I can use opencsw package
on osol, for what reason we should NOT create package on osol? Sooner
or later when SUN kill SXCE, osol will be my only choice to do the developement.

When I digged into the scipt "checkpkg", I found the price is not high
to support
osol distribution. So, could you please give a shot on osol? It's
really not bad, :-)

Thanks,
-Aubrey