[csw-maintainers] Revision in package versions

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Oct 28 18:38:41 CET 2009

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Wed Oct 28 13:24:51 -0400 2009:

> I remember that we introduced some kind of "sub revisions" like
>    15.7,REV=2009.10.27_rev=a

My ruby packages are using: 1.8.7,REV=%Y.%m.%d_rev=p$(patchlevel)

In the case of ruby, at least, this $(patchlevel) portion is of
significance to users in order to determine if the package has the
lastest upstream security updates rolled in.

> Now that pkg-get has been converted to use REV-dates I guess the
> sub-revisions are no longer needed and can be thrown out of all the
> build manifests, yes?

For version comparison purposes, they're already ignored (at least in
pkgutil).  I'd vote to keep them around though, as they do convey
important version information to humans and shouldn't hurt anything
else.

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.