[csw-maintainers] sendmail and dbus packages

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 2 21:16:14 CEST 2009

Hi,

Am 02.09.2009 um 19:00 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Jeffery Small<jeff at cjsa.com> wrote:
>> Can someone please provide an update on the status of the following
>> two
>> open issues:
>>
>> 1:  Is there a revised release of sendmail pending for use with the
>> Berkeley
>>   DB 4.x problem, and have all the Berkeley DB issues been
>> resolved?  I
>>   am in a state of confusion about all this and very afraid to
>> touch anything
>>   for fear of getting things out of sync once again.  I really
>> don't know
>>   what version of the BDB I should be running. I currently have:
>>
>>       berkeleydb4           4.2.52,REV=2005.04.28_rev=p4
>>       berkeleydb44                 4.4.20,REV=2009.07.28
>>       sendmail                     8.14.2,REV=2007.12.17
>>

> I previously suggested/requested that our berkeleydb maintainer(s),
> repackage the "berkeleyedb4" package, to include the old binaries for
> the shared libs, until they are no longer used.
> This basically echos our "normal" policies about shared libs.

This policy is there to avoid having multiple packages with
one version each. Currently we already have multiple packages
and correct dependencies to each package version. There is no
need to put all in one package. Essentially, you say "go back
to the old scheme and let's see that we update all builds
to old versions". I fully agree to going back with correct
versions inside, but not as one package and links from other
packages. It is more difficult to package and maintain and
additionally bloats the system with all versions when you only
need one.