[csw-maintainers] berkeleydb saga

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Sep 3 19:18:31 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 03.09.2009 um 19:13 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Dagobert Michelsen<dam at opencsw.org>
> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> Am 03.09.2009 um 18:33 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>>
>>> Well, there is ONE reason to do it "the standard way":
>>> new packages, tend to follow the pattern of older packages.
>>
>> The bdb4x packages will most certainly never get an update. The
>> only package to be updated would be bdb4, which already contains
>> 4.7.x, so no worries there.
>>

> my point being, that someone updating bdb4, in the distant future, may
> see the old, versioned packages, and think, "oh ok, I'd better follow
> the existing 'standard' for berkeleydb, and make a separate, new,
> berkeleydb4.8 package"

Let me put it that way: At least *I* will never forget this,
and I'm sure Mike and you won't either. And if in the distant
future somebody takes over bdb and all of us are no longer
project members I don't care. It is just too much work to
build a unified bdb4 only for "the sake of consistency"
and taking the negative side effects that every package
depending on bdb would pull in all versions as they would
be contained in bdb4, right? It would not make things
clearer.