[csw-maintainers] berkeleydb saga

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Fri Sep 4 11:24:16 CEST 2009

On 03/09/09, 17:36:34, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] berkeleydb saga:

> The symlink isnt important. What is important, is the "SONAME" of the
> library.
> if it is compiled with SONAME=libdb-4.7, then even if you compile with
> cc .... -ldb

> at runtime, it will be dynamically linked aginst "libdb-4.7".

Which is good, so when I install and use bdb4 generic version 4.X the
libraries to which I link are 4.7.  Therefore the package version for
bdb4 should be 4.7 not 4.2.

Currently the displayed package version is 4.2 which reflects the
legacy libs also provided by this package as links to the 4.7 files.
Being a bdb4 and not bdb42 it has rolling 4.x version unlike the
bdb43 and bdbd44 which are fixed to 4.3 and 4.4 respectively.

$ dump -Lv /opt/csw/bdb4/lib/libdb.so | grep SONAME
[7]     SONAME          libdb-4.7.so

$ pkgchk -l -p /opt/csw/bdb4/lib/libdb.so
Pathname: /opt/csw/bdb4/lib/libdb.so
Type: symbolic link
Source of link: /opt/csw/lib/libdb.so
Referenced by the following packages: