[csw-maintainers] Updated libtool available with GCC support

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Sep 4 15:21:00 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

I just pushed an updated libtool in testing/ and installed it
on test8s (alias for build8st) and test8x. The problem with the
existing version is that it was not able to compile stuff with the
GCC compilers. It was in there a long time ago when Robin Kay
made the package and it took me a while to figure out how this
worked. THIS IS COMPLETE MADNESS! Basically you have to compile
libtool with every compiler you want support for, then cut out
certain parts, put them away and add code in the main libtool
to use the snippets when something unknown compiler is encountered.

Anyway, it was a good opportunity to do a triple-modulation of
ISA, version and compiler (I guess this is the only package this
will ever need this). If you want to see how this works you can
take a look at
   <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/libtool/trunk/Makefile

A test with freeradius and gcc3/gcc4 builds fine. There is
currently no support for gcc2 as there is also no support
for gcc2 in GAR. If somebody needs it I'll add it.

So please give it a try if you have anything to compile
with libtool and gcc.