[csw-maintainers] Migrating config files from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw during package update

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 15 10:40:18 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> Let me remind you that this is contrary to what you advised me on
>> transitioning Mantis:
>
> and this is why I am AGAINST having a strict policy on the issue of
> transitioning etc files, but believe that each package should be
> carefully considered on its own merits :-)
>
> It's a potentially very sticky issue. I do not think people should do
> it casually. I think that having a deep "policy" on this issue, would
> discorage people from actually THINKING about what is best for their
> package. This would be the opposite of best practice, in my opinion.

I think it is very important to have a policy on how it is supposed to
be. If not people will INVENT their own methods and we will have no
CONSISTENCY leading to OpenCSW packages being hard to use.

I agree that you can't and shouldn't make a policy that goes into every
detail, but having guidelines explaining why we do thing this way is a
good thing. It is very confusing for new maintainers to figure out where
stuff is supposed to go. By having a set of reason it is easier to
understand why it is supposed to be that way and to make your own
choices when that is required.

> I think that "the policy" should not be much more than, "keep local
> configs in /etc/opt/csw, and local state in /var/opt/csw", and leave
> the "how to get there" mostly to the maintainer.

A policy definitely needs to mention when it is correct to use
/opt/csw/etc vs /etc/opt/csw.

--
Trygve