[csw-maintainers] CUPS issues

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 15 20:11:52 CEST 2009

There's an issue with cups-polld that I've been investigating for some
time now. When I attempted to reproduce it under a debugger, another
bug surfaced, I'm just about to file a bug report with CUPS
developers. After implementing a workaround against the second bug,
the original issue doesn't show up at all. I'm suspecting that it's
something dependent on the optimization level.

To summarize:

with -xO2 bug1 is triggered, but bug2 is not
with -xO0 bug1 is not triggered, but bug2 is.

Since bug2 seems to be relatively easy to fix, I got working binaries
by compiling cups with -xO0 and thus hiding bug1.

The dilemma is as follows:

- optimized binaries work for most people but fail miserably in my
production environment
- unoptimized binaries work fine in my environment, but I feel it's
wrong to ship unoptimized binaries from OpenCSW

I'm stuck here. I can't debug it. I can't ship it. Help!

Maciej

P.S. I'll do more testing, perhaps I'll be able to reproduce bug1, but
I haven't been so far.