[csw-maintainers] interdependent packages moving to /etc/opt/csw

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Sep 16 20:33:17 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a large stack of interdependent packages that will be all
> changing $sysconfdir to /etc/opt/csw.  I don't see a clean way to
> handle this move short of manually removing all of the packages and
> then adding them back.  [Some packages register things in files
> provided by other packages, etc.]
>
> If I provide detailed instructions on the ordering of these
> operations, is that sufficient for our user base?

It sounds "highly complex". yikes.

I would suggest that,for the sake of our users, you provide some sort
of migration script, that first verifies everything is at the minimum
level required (or does a "strings xyz" to see that the paths have
changed), and then does the neccessary backflips. Or bombs out with
appropriate error messages, if not up to date.

You might provide the migration script, as part of the "highest
level"(if there is one)  package.

possibly in the "docs" dir, along with an explaination there of why it
is neccessary.