[csw-maintainers] 1. VM image of OpenSolaris with OpenCSW, 2. Custom streams

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Fri Sep 18 09:58:13 CEST 2009

I would like to make available an image (for VMWare/VirtualBox) of
OpenSolaris with OpenCSW bootstrapped. I tried it in VirtualBox and
exported it as OVF and it's about 1,3 GB which is not that much today.
We could even publish it as a torrent on Pirate Bay. :-) VMWare can
also publish it for us. Sure we can't do this for Solaris 8-10 but
even Sun is moving towards OpenSolaris now providing official support
for it and many people are curious about it, it's time that we show
our presence on that platform. Maybe we could get our "distro" publish
on the OpenSolaris web site?

The second idea is to allow people to customize their downloads on our
(new) web site. They could click any number of packages and a stream
would be prepared for download with all dependencies included.

What do you think?

--
/peter